4 Gifts {Read}


I'm hooking up with Alyson M for her "4 Gifts" series. 
If you are visiting from the link up, Welcome.

Can you believe it's week four of "4 Gifts"? I mean, it's almost Christmas! And while I wanted my Christmas shopping complete by Thanksgiving weekend, I'll confess and let you know that it didn't happen. I'm still shopping and will most likely be shopping right up until the end. I know, fail, but I love this time of year and the excitement of shopping with the hustle and bustle of the holiday crowds. I'm weird like that considering I'm a retail warrior!

This week is my favorite part of four gifts. Today's gift is, Read. I love to give the gift of reading. If you came to my house you would probably have to move books before you could sit on the couch or in a chair. When I was growing up my mom had books all over the house, on her night table, on the end tables, and even a floor to ceiling book shelf in the dining room. I love, love, love being surrounded by books. The only problem with this gift in the "4 Gifts" series, is that I want to buy all the new books that are out. I want to buy all the reissues of old books I read as a kid. I want to buy all the books about Christmas and winter. Trust me when I tell you that I have to stop myself. It helps that every year Parents Magazine will review the top books for the holiday season in their December issue. I love that because it narrows down our choices, and I always find books the kids love. This year I've narrowed it down to the following:



The Day the Crayons Came Home is the sequel to The Day the Crayons Quit. That book was an instant hit in our house. If you haven't read these, get them quick. Our favorite is the peach crayon that ends up naked and afraid to leave the box! 

Wolfie the Bunny is about a wolf raised by Bunnies. I mean, what is cuter than that?

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, the illustrated edition is as much for me as it is for the kiddos. I think they are still a little young for the regular version, so with the beautiful illustrations I feel it will be easier to follow along.  

The Story of Diva and Flea,  a friendship blossoms between a stray dog and a well taken care of cat in Paris France. Caitlin is obsessed with Paris and all things France at the moment so this one is definitely on the list. 

Now there was no way I could write about great books to give at Christmas and leave out a wish list of my own...

Here are my top picks for this "4 Gifts" series.

Brave Enough by Cheryl Strayed. Let me tell you that I had huge reservations about Wild. I wasn't sure that I would be into a book about one woman's hiking trip. I was so wrong. Wild is one of the best books I have ever read. Now Strayed has released a book of quotes from her many writings. If you know someone who loved Wild, this would make a fantastic gift.

Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes. If you read this blog at all then you know that I love all things Shonda Rhimes. I love her shows, I love her as a writer, I love her as a human. I can't wait to dive into this book and start a year of yes of my own!

The Art of Memoir by Mary Karr. I know the last think I need is another book on writing, but this one from an award winning writing teacher is going on my must read list for 2016.

Like I said, this gift, in the "4 Gifts" series is my favorite. Will you be giving the gift of reading this season? If so share your titles in the comments. I'm always looking to add books to my reading list. And be sure to check out the fantastic giveaway below! 



Christmas Giveaway!
$165 Target Gift Card  ||  $25 World Market Gift Card  ||  Lace Arm Warmers - Forgotten Cotton  ||  Personalized Cutting Board (9x12") - Laserworkz  ||  Gypsy Dreamcatcher Necklace - Gypsies Box Jewelry  ||  $30 Credit for Keep Collective with Kassie  ||  Adult Coloring Book - This Girl's Doodles