Mom's Paleo Pumpkin Crumble {It's Fall y'all}


Last Fall I spent a good amount of time looking for a pumpkin recipe that would deliver all the comforts of fall.  I had been on my diet for about eight months and was pretty sure Thanksgiving was going to be a total bust on this new grain free/sugar free/dairy free diet.  It wasn't so bad, but nothing tasted like fall, or pumpkins, or comfort.  No big deal, but I missed all of that fall pumpkin pie spiced goodness.

This year I'm not going to have to watch everyone eat pumpkin pie from the sidelines.  This year I have a Paleo version made just for me by my Mama.  Yup, Mama Linda has done it again, and has come up with a delicious pumpkin crumble that will make you say, "I can't believe it's not Paleo".  This recipe is a hybrid of two recipes in Practical Paleo; Pumpkin Pie Custard (page 404) and Fresh Blue Berry Crumble (page 406).  I'll also include some notes from my Mom about what she will do differently the next time she makes this.  In addition, my daughter Caitlin, loves this crumble.  I hate to break the news that it has no real sugar or dairy in it!

Mom's Paleo Pumpkin Crumble


Adapted from Practical Paleo

For the Pumpkin Custard
1 c. canned or fresh pumpkin Mom used canned
2 eggs
1/4 c. maple syrup grade b is best, Mom used regular
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 c. full fat coconut milk unsweetened Mom used Thai Kitchen in a can
pinch of sea salt
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice Mom used McCormick

For the Crumble
1 c. almond meal/almond flour
1/4 c. melted coconut oil, ghee Mom used coconut oil
2 TBL spoon maple syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 pinches sea salt

In a bowl combine the pumpkin, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and coconut milk.  Add pumpkin pie spice and sea salt, mix well.  In another bowl combine the almond meal, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, and sea salt.  Set aside.  Use coconut oil to grease a pie pan, tart pan, or casserole dish, then pour in your pumpkin custard.

First Note from Mom:
The first time she made this she poured the custard into a pie dish and then topped it with the crumble. The crumble sank in many spots of the custard.  While it didn't tasted bad, it made it a little soggy. The crumble that stayed on the top of the custard was crisp and delicious, so Mom suggests the following step:

Place the custard into a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes to let the custard set a little.  Once it's set, take it out and cover the custard with the crumble topping.  Then return to the oven for 30 to 40 minutes until the crumble topping is starting to brown and the custard is beginning to crack.

That's it.  It's really easy just like the Apple Crumble and it's so delicious.  Let me know if you make this.  I'd love to hear if you did anything different to make it your own.  As I publish this post I'm testing some more Paleo recipes I found on line.  Let's just say not all recipes are as successful as this one.  Paleo baking is ALWAYS an adventure.