Raising narcissistic children {Or bloggers}

Mastering the half tuck and WIW pose like a blogger.
 
I have this overwhelming fear that I'm raising narcissistic children.  It's not that I'm raising them to be vain, showering them with complements, telling them they are prettier than the other girls.  On the contrary, I fear that I'm raising them to think that the world wants to know all about them.  
 
I fear it's because I blog and Instagram their lives.

 
She already knows the importance of a selfie.
 
If you are a blogger too, then you know that the life that requires you to take a photo of everything.  Your incredibly long wait at the post office.  Your morning Starbucks.  Your healthy (paleo) lunch.  Your dinner you slaved (or drove through) to make.  Every thing and everything is fair game in the life of a blogger.  Even when your kids sits on the potty, it's a bloggable moment. So what example am I setting?  That everything is fodder for the blogosphere? 
 
A few weeks ago, my friend Chelsea posted a picture on Instagram of her adorable daughter hiding behind her ice cream treat, refusing to take a picture.  Her mommy, a blogger was just following the bloggy rules of life.  If it happens, I must photograph it, and it must go on my blog.  We all laughed and liked the picture because we have all been there.  Mac refuses most pictures on most days.  I think she knows, I'm selling her out for Instagram likes.  But it got me thinking, am I raising a child, or children who will think that the world really wants to know everything about them?
 
What's a blogger with out a mustache?
 
With the invention of social media, we have all become a little more self involved and absorbed.  Does the twitter-verse really want to know that I just got a free frap at Starbucks?  Do my Insta-peeps really care about my scrambled egg breakfast?  I think so.  I also think that they want to see Mac eating a donut, or Caitlin rocking some serious swag.  Only reinforcing the fact that the world wants to know everything about them!  What will their life be like when they grow up?  Will they literally live blog their lives?  Or will this only be a by product of children of mommy bloggers?  I can already hear them in therapy, "Well my mommy was a blogger, so...".
 
My children are growing up with the sense that everything they do is noteworthy to social media.  That their breakfast is breaking news.  That their outfits are blog worthy.  I'm the only one to blame, and for now it really doesn't bother me, but what am I going to do in 10 years when one of my little miss' wants to start her own blog?  How can I refuse, when I'm doing the same thing?
 
Look ma, sunnies, take a pic for Instagram!
 
It's already happening now.  Caitlin will put on an outfit of her own Project Runway creation, and will ask me to take a picture so I can put it on Facebook.  She recently asked for her own Instagram account so she can photograph and publish her Monster High and Lalaloopsy tableaus.  It's slowing happening that she knows the world wants to know about her.  It's kind of scary isn't it?

 
For now, I'm ok with blogging our lives.  It's really turned into a memory book for us.  Instagram is our family photo album.  I just worry what the future is going to bring.  How happy will the friends and boyfriends of my daughters be?  Will they understand the need to document every single life event on social media, or will they just think they are vain and narcissistic?
 
Until then I've got time.

 
 
Or do I?