Promises

 


The promise of a new day
 
 
The promise of spring and new beginnings
 
 
 The promise and possibilities that blank pages bring to a busy mind.
 
 

 A promise of laughter after a hard and exhausting day.
 
 
A promise to me, that I'll keep swimming, no matter the current,
the temperature, or terrain.
 
 
I have a friend, who has a friend, who doesn't believe in promises.  Because as the friend would say promises can be broken, or will be broken, or are meant to be broken.  I'm not sure, but all I know is that they don't believe in promises.  The idea really stuck with me.  Promise is a word thrown around, much like love.  I promise I'll give you chocolate if you just stop crying, I promise I'll make dinner every night of the week if you just...  I promise, I promise, I promise...
 
It leaves me to think about the essence of promise.  Why we love the word or the idea.  Why we dwell on the promises of things, people, hopes, or dreams.  I like the idea of a promise.  It's hopeful.  Pregnant with possibilities.  And while we may be disappointed in the end, may we never be surprised by the fact that there will be more promise to meet us there.
 
 
 
Linking up here